Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Grab a cup of coffee

Either I have too much time on my hands or I am becoming my Grandmother. I had two wonderful Grandmothers. One was very old world and would cook until she dropped.
The other was a proper New York society lady, raised to have all of the proper manners.
It is the second one I seem to be channeling today. Not the manners or even her class.(which I wish I had) But, something more memorable for me.
I was the generation that first met the legend that is now simply know as Barbie. Yup, that's how old I am. My New York proper Grandmother bought me the very first rendition of Barbie. Bobbed, bouffant blond hair and striped swimsuit. I was in heaven. Barbie had a wardrobe even back then. But, my folks would not buy me any Barbie clothes. So,as the story goes, my Grandmother saw just how cheaply made the clothes for the dolls were. She set out to make clothes for my Barbie. Oh my, how that woman could sew. I had all of the latest fashions for my doll. If Grandma saw it, she made it for me. Everything in the Barbie collection in better fabrics and nicer colors. Even what was in the magazines. I had it all. She even taught me how to sew. At the time I'm not sure I appreciated what I was taught. But, she and I spent many wonderful afternoons together sewing. As I grew older she promised to make my wedding dress for me. I was thrilled. More years passed and I became engaged. Grandma was dying. She was not able to make my dress, so in keeping with her promise I made it myself. She passed away one week after my wedding. I guess she waited for me to really get married.

So, back to my channeling her. My Granddaughter, Miss M, received a tea set for Hanukkah from her other Grandmother. It is really cute. She loves to play with it. But the other day, as we were playing, Miss M wanted place mats for her table just like Mommy uses. So, today I sat down at my old sewing machine and just like my own Grandmother, made her what she wanted. Miss M has 4 place-mats for her table



I hope my Grandma would be proud.

1 comment:

  1. I met her, and I know that she was proud of you then and is looking down now and is even more proud.
    So am I

    ReplyDelete