Sunday, April 8, 2012

A dear dear friend

How do you say goodby to someone who has been your friend for more than 25 years? I guess you start with Thank You.

When I met Eva I was a young mother and she was a Grandmother. I was busy with all the things invoved with day to day life. With making sure my children were fed, clothed and of course polite to adults.

Eva had raised her children and was so relaxed and calm around mine. I couldn't help wondering if she knew something I didn't. And of course she did. She knew so many things I did not.

Eva knew that with age come wisdom. She also knew that things can be replaced, people can not.

She showed me that cancer is not a death sentence even if it is scary. She showed me that cancer can come back and you can get through that too. She also taught me that I can be too helpful. (Something I am still working on)

She taught me that people can still be friends even if they haven't spoken in years.

Eva taught me how to grandparent. She "adopted" my children because her's were so far away. She had time for my
children even when their own grandparents did not. She showed me that "right now" is the only time that there is for a small child. And that a hug from "Grandma Eva " was the best!

She was loved by everyone who knew her. Her quiet strenght inspired many people.

Today I heard Eva passed away. I haven't spoken to her in a couple of years. For that I am really sorry. I will miss you dear friend. May you rest in peace.

I will think of you every time I light Shabat candles. Because that is how we met, in a room filled with Shabat candles.

1 comment: