Thursday, January 6, 2011

Company

We have had some out of town company as of late. And I have discovered a few things.
I have always thought that you took care of your guests. If they have special needs you tried to accommodate them if you could. I am learning that this is not always the case.
Our guests keep Kosher. That means that there are some food rules they follow which are different than most people's eating habits. Our guests did not request that we change anything. This is something we have chosen to try to do for them. To me it's not a big deal. However it is a big deal to them. They can't stop saying thank you.
It seems that the family members they were staying with before not only didn't make any effort to allow them to keep any form of Kosher, but even made fun of them for trying to keep meat and milk separate.
Please understand that I have not made huge changes in my food or my cooking. But, since our guests do not mix milk products and meat products I have switched to using margarine instead of butter when the meal has beef or chicken in it. It's not a big deal.
The effect this simple effort has had on our friends is amazing.

So let me put it out there in the world.

1. M & E you are welcome.
2. Treat guests with the respect YOU would like to be treated with.
3. It costs you nothing to be nice, and it might just make that big difference to someone else.

Words of wisdom from the Bubbie.

No comments:

Post a Comment