Friday, January 21, 2011

Life in frozen land

At the moment the temp out side is zero. We have a wind chill that takes us to -20 degrees. Needless to say it is VERY cold outside. But, it is a beautifully clear morning. The sun has just come up and the sky is a lovely shade of blue.As long as we stay inside, everything will be wonderful.

My family gets together every Friday for Shabbot dinner and it's my turn to cook.
I have soup cooking in the crock-pot it is a tomato based soup with artichokes. So things are starting to smell wonderful. A little later I will be making pecan pie and we will be having a wonderful chicken dish for the main course. Something I have made before and my family loves.

I always see families, on TV, that get together regularly. It seems to be mostly on Sunday. I think because most people in the US are Christian, and it's an after church thing. Shabbot is a little different. It's supposed to be a separation from the work week. Shabbot is a rest from the work week. So, we take turns cooking. My daughters each take a week so that we each get a two week break from cooking for one night. But guess what happens. Everyone ends up in the kitchen. Everyone helps out. Even the men.

This year something new is taking place. The men are doing some of the cooking. They are stepping up and taking an occasional week. I could not be more thrilled.

We all like to cook around here. But, it seems like everyone is working together. It's almost like we may be headed to a few of those TV, picture perfect family dinners. Cooking for each other seems to be pulling us to a place where we set aside our little family frustrations and really take care of one another. Don't get me wrong we still have our family squabbles, but I think maybe, just maybe we are learning to respect each other as people.

Well I have gone on long enough here. It's time for the long awaited pictures of the kiddies.



Here is the "Dude" on his first archeological dig. He is about to dig for dinosaur bones at the Indianapolis Childrens Museum.



Here is Miss Mim at the same dig. She is way too busy, discovering dino bones, to look up for the camera.



"The Dude" making a hand cranked train run.



Miss Mim playing at the water table with her little brother. Everyone had a really great time.

1 comment:

  1. I've discovered your blog, through Discoverylover's new one about her USA trip in 2009. That was where I met you - we all sat down and watched Fiddler on the Roof, one of my favourite films!

    I really can't get enough of your two grandchildren. One of my happiest memories is the night Becca found that she was pregnant with Mim. I was sleeping on their couch with the cats, got up sometime around two in the morning to use the bathroom, and on my way back there was Becca and she was glowing with the good news that the test was positive.

    I have never ever seen a happier person!!!

    So it is a constant delight to see pictures of the two youngsters, and to read the stories of their adventures, and now and again get to meet them as they grow.

    My blog of that American trip is here and I guess, come April, I'll be starting a new one for my next trip, which again takes in Chicago and the wee darlings.

    ReplyDelete