Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Starting the New Year

The Jewish Holidays are here. Today is Erev Rosh Hashana, or The evening of the Jewish new year. All Jewish Holidays start at sundown. So we start tonight. Tomorrow we spend the day in services. Then we have the 10 Days of Awe followed by Yom Kipper. The Day of Atonement.

I have just finished making the creamed herring for our break the fast 10 days from now. The sour cream and onions and herring need to sit in the fridge for 10 days so the flavors can blend. I tried using store bought creamed herring one year. But, my family would have none of it. It was home made or nothing. This is very funny to me. Because I really don't make it from scratch. Here is what I do:

One jar of herring in wine sauce
one or two onions
sour cream (how much depends on the amount of herring)

1.Take a jar of herring in wine sauce, drain most of the liquid off. Put it in a large bowl.
2. Thinly slice an onion or two, depending on how much you are making and how you like onions. Put that in the same bowl.
3. To that same bowl add sour cream. How much depends on taste. Mix it all up. Cover with plastic wrap and put the whole thing in the fridge for up to 10 days or how ever long you can leave it there without eating it.

When my girls were younger I would have to hide the creamed herring or threaten them with their lives if they didn't leave it alone.

This year most of my family is involved in the services. Reading, saying blessings and blowing shofar. I will be sitting with the babies. ;)

I am wishing everyone a healthy and happy New Year. L' Shana Tova to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment